Monday, November 19, 2007

Let's pump some iron, shall we?

So, it’s been well over a year since I was last within the compounds of a gym. It’s a sad thing, I know. This weekend, I finally convinced myself that I needed to exercise. My theory about working out is that the most challenging part of keeping up with a workout regimen is first getting to the place of workout- which in most cases, is the gym. Once you get there, you have the choice of either sitting around and looking like an idiot, or doing the obvious: moving those limbs! So, that’s exactly what I did this weekend. I made my way to the gym, and I moved those lazy limbs. I really did move them! A normal person with any ounce of common sense would have taken it slow. A normal person would have realized that a year is a long time. A normal person would also have said, 'lets lift the five pound dumbbells today and slowly build my way back up to the 10, the 15, and then the 20-pounders'. Not 'me! As soon as I stepped into the weight room (following my brief stint on the treadmill), I made my way to the weight tree and reached straight for the 20 pound dumbbells (were these always this heavy?). And I thought I looked good with my 20-pounders, until I actually lifted them in an effort to work those non-existent muscles. Ouch! Ahem. I quickly scanned the room to make sure no one had witnessed my failed attempt at what should have been a swift movement of the arm, into a victorious bicep curl! I promptly decided to downgrade to a ten pound pair (yes I know, that’s downgrading by 50%. Shut up). I ended up following the same routine I used to follow a year ago, except- I cut the reps in half, the weights in half, and the movements to quick jerky jolts as opposed to slow and steady, well balanced moves. I know- it's pretty lame.

The result of a day at the gym you ask? My legs ache when I climb up the stairs, my arms scream in agony every time I lift so much as a shoulder bag, and don’t even think about telling me a joke. My stomach muscles are greatly offended every time I laugh. Damn those oblique crunches!

5 comments:

Fatemeh said...

(laugh)
TOTALLY! It's GETTING to the gym that's the hard part!! Good for you, though--I still have to take that heavy, hard step toward the gym...

googliboo said...

Hey Zeynab. And by the way, I haven't gone since then either! :(

Saady said...

lol...the second day is the hardest.
Keep rocking !

googliboo said...

Hey Saady, I know what you mean about the second day being the hardest. The memory cells in you brain remember it all. I like your blog, by the way.

Anonymous said...

cmon, i am waiting for ur next blog...been almost 2 months